Monday, June 16, 2014

Churchill Quencher

Since my awesome long-time friends, the Churchills came on brewday to
visit me, I'm calling this batch Churchill Quencher.

Ingredients:
6 # dry extra light malt extract
1 oz. U.S. Fuggles hops
1/4 tsp. Irish Moss
1 pkg. Safale-5 American Ale Yeast.

This batch was meant to be a mild summer thirst quencher.  I made some
modifications to the usual general recipe for this style which is what I always do.  The U.S. Fuggles hops are usually used to give a woody or flora aroma to your beer rather than for bittering.  I wanted mild, so I used the low IBU (International Bittering Units) hop to give the beer less of a bitter bite thinking this might appeal more to my wife (who usually likes mixed drinks or fruity wine coolers).  Usually for
this style the body would also be fairly light, but I used 6 pounds of DME (Dry Malt Extract) instead of 3 or 4 so it may prove to be a bit more full bodied than a standard light American ale.  I used dry ale yeast because the Liquor Barn I stopped at did not have liquid yeast
like I am used to getting.  I will note that for future.  I added the hops for the full boil.  I did note that I scorched the malt a little. I'm hoping it doesn't affect the flavor much.  I read a comment online which said a good practice is to get the water up to boiling and add your extract after you turn off the heat, then once it's dissolved,
you can bring it back to a boil.  I'll try this technique next time.

I have some pellet hops I'm going to drop in when I rack to secondary perhaps this weekend (this is known as dry-hopping).  I must comment again how much I love my wort chiller.  It's a great help for cooling the wort down quickly.  This batch is now resting quietly next to the
Post Brown Sludge (PBS for short).  I did not note any ~20 hour vigor from the yeast in the Churchill, but I shall peek in on it after work.

No comments: