Thursday, December 08, 2011

Decembeer Ambeer

After class today, I brewed an amber ale.  Well, that's what I was shooting for.  I had several goals I wanted to accomplish with this last batch of the year.

  • use my new wort chiller
  • use a large amount of flavor and aroma hops
  • use a Belgian yeast strain.
I started with 4 gallons of water in my brew pot and these two specialty grains:
  • 1 .0 # crystal malt (40L)
  • 0.5 # wheat flakes
After the wort came close to a boil, I strained out the grains and added the following at 4:10pm:
  • 3.0 # amber DME
  • 3.0 # light DME
  • 1.0 oz. Columbus Whole Hops (13.0 AA)
In the last 15 minutes at 4:55pm I added:
  • 1.0 oz. Columbus Whole Hops
  • 1.5 tsp. Irish moss
In the last 10 minutes of the boil, at 5pm I added:
  • 1.0 oz. Columbus Whole Hops
In the last 5 minutes of boil time, at 5:05pm I added:
  • 1.0 oz. Fuggles Pellet Hops (3.5 AA)
In the final minute of boil, at 5:09pm I added:
  • 1.0 oz. Columbus Whole Hops
I stuck the wort chiller into the brew pot and transferred brewpot to the sink.  I started the wort chiller and to my observation it took very little time to cool down the wort.  After it was cool, I removed the wort chiller and began the process of sparging out all those hops.  After removing half the hops, my strainer was full and I had nowhere to put the remaining hops so I trashed them.  After sparging the second half of the hopped wort I noted that the hops had absorbed quite a large amount of the liquid.  It was alarming how much liquid was absorbed, and how much tap water I had to sparge into the fermenter in order to fill it to the proper level.

Next time I may use a hop bag so I can squeeze out the water with sanitized hands.

After getting all the wort into the fermenter I looked at the temp and it was 76 degrees, so I pitched the yeast immediately.  The yeast I used was:
  • White Labs WLP570 Belgian Golden Ale Yeast
I cleaned up and the entire process took me approximately 2.5 hours.  I also did some video this time and should have that uploaded to Youtube in the near future.

In a couple days after primary fermentation (estimate 12/11 or 12/12), I'm gonna add:

  • 1 oz. of Spalt hop pellets.
A couple days before bottling (estimate 12/25 or 12/26), I'm gonna add:
  • 1 oz. of Spalt hop pellets.

No comments: